Please contact the team for clarification if you are unsure whether your project
fits within our guidelines. In general, we do not consider appeals:
- from individuals
- from statutory organisations
- from national charities without a local base/project
- from charities with substantial unrestricted reserves
- from medical/health establishments
- from schools/educational establishments
- for projects principally benefiting people outside Cumbria/North Lancashire
- for retrospective funding
- for expeditions or overseas travel
- for the promotion of religion
- for animal welfare
Please note that Trustees prefer to fund small to medium-sized organisations and it is therefore unlikely they will support applications from charities with a turnover in excess of £1m. It is also worth noting that charities should not apply to both the Frieda Scott and Francis C Scott Charitable Trusts at the same time.
Whether your application is successful or not, we advise that you wait for a year before applying to the Trust again.
In any one year the Trust receives three times more applications for funding than it can afford to support. The Trustees go to considerable lengths to ensure that every request for funding that is within our stated funding guidelines receives a full and fair hearing. Any applicants or beneficiaries who feel that they have a grievance against the Trust should write to the Chair of Trustees (marked Private and Confidential) who will respond following a period of consultation.
Mr Peter Redhead
Chair of Trustees
The Francis C Scott Charitable Trust
Stricklandgate House, 92 Stricklandgate
Kendal, Cumbria, LA9 4PU